Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mama Trimblini's Spaghetti

I was excited when I saw that the next country to be covered in the Kids' Culinary Passport was Italy. I love Italian food and I knew that this would have to be a two-parter in terms of what I was going to have Lily cook with me. I decided to introduce her to my mother's famous "Mama Trimblini's Spaghetti."  My mother wasn't much of a cook.  Her motto was always stick to 5 ingredient recipes if you could.  She was probably the original Sandra Lee Semi-homemade.  My mother always made this spaghetti for me when I was growing up and I just wanted Lily to learn about it since her grandmother isn't alive to teach her.  I felt this would be one way she could have some connection to my mother.

To make the Spaghetti Sauce is quite simple. You use Lawry's Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Packet, 2 1/4 cups of water, 1 tbs. unsalted butter, and 1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste.  My mom would add in 1 pound of ground beef, but we use ground turkey and 2 cups of sliced mushrooms.


First, brown the ground beef or ground turkey.


Next, in a 2-quart saucepan, combine the water, tomato paste, butter, and seasoning packet.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Once it comes to a boil, add the ground turkey and mushrooms.  Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.



One of my favorite things about making this spaghetti sauce when I was younger, was getting a loaf of fresh crusty French bread and tearing a little piece off  and putting a little butter on it and dipping it into the sauce while it simmered.  I honestly think I could just eat it that way without the actual spaghetti.

And of course you can not forget the garlic bread!

On Sunday, I am going to teach Lily another Italian favorite..Eggplant Parmesan.  This is my own version of a Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade type recipe. Then she will get to add the Italy stamp to her passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment