Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kids Culinary Passport (USA)




I was surfing the web and I came across this terrific project at the blog, Inner Child Fun, for Lily's summer vacation. Since, we are not traveling anywhere this summer , why not travel around the world without leaving our kitchen!  I quickly downloaded the Kids' Culinary Passport and away we went on our "voyage."


We glued a photo of Lily and of course her "babies" onto her passport and answered the questions of what was her favorite food and what was her favorite country.  She loves noodles specifically Ramen and her favorite country is China, because of Ni Hao Kai Lan.

Since we had just celebrated the Fourth of July, we decided to visit our own country first, the good ole USA.  Lily keeps getting USA mixed up with USC, her father's Alma Mater. The blog gave a suggestion to make Homemade Peach ice cream.  My mother's favorite flavor of ice cream was peach, so in honor of her and what would have been her 72nd birthday this year on the 24th of July, I thought this would be a great way to celebrate.


The recipe came from the book "The Perfect Scoop" by David Liebowitz.  It called for peeling the peaches first.  Let me tell you peeling peaches with a regular hand held peeler is not easy and you lose a lot of your peach meat by doing so.  I discovered a very handy trick to peel the peaches.  With a paring knife, mark an x on the bottom of each peach. Then bring a large pot of water to boiling. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Boil the peaches for 20 seconds and then using a slotted spoon transfer them to the ice water bath. Let cool and then the skins slide right off.

I then removed the peach pits and  cut the fruit into chunks.


In a medium sized saucepan, I combined the peaches and  1/2 cup of water and cooked them for 10 minutes over medium high heat, until they were soft, stirring 2-3 times.


I combined the peaches with 3/4 cups of sugar and let them stand until they reached room temperature.


Lily helped me with the next part. And yes, I am wearing shorts with that top. We pureed the peach mixture in a blender with 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract, and a few drops of fresh squeezed lemon juice.


We chilled the pureed mixture completely and then placed it in our Rival Ice Cream maker which had not been taken out of the box since 2008. I could consider that hoarding and that's why this post is perfect for this blog.

Success!
I let Lily stay up to finally taste the ice cream. It took an hour and a half before it started to finally take shape. 



Then I had Lily place her USA sticker to her passport. Can't wait to do some Japanese cooking next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment